Coin talk > COTD

SOLI INV-I-CTO COMITI for Constantine

(1/3) > >>

Adriaan78:
I bought this coin for cheap along with a bigger purchase. I did not already have the Sol reverse with Sol holding the globe close to his body. However, I was wondering if this might be RIC 324 of 326 from Rome. I think it is impossible to say if busts seen from the reverse are cuirassed or not (and I know that more people heven the same opinion). Or is the coin from another serie with sol holding the globe close as both RIC 324 and 326 do not have a (confirmed) specimen from workshop P?  Thanks!

Heliodromus:
Your coin has Sol standing right, head left, so the choice is between RIC 331 (LDR) and 334 (LDCR). RIC 324 & 326 are Sol standing left.

I think it made no sense for RIC to distinguish between LDR and LDCR, and this is not consistently done. I would have called them all LDCR.

On your coin the shoulder pteruges do appear to be visible, implying a cuirass, so I'd say this one is unambiguously RIC 334 (LDCR).

Adriaan78:
Thank you very much Heliodromus. I was doubting as I thought it is his left elbow pointing out to the right and not a hand reaching out. Furthermore, the Ramskold auction also had a few examples for RIC 324 and 325 where the pose was called "standing front, but slightly turned to right". Example attached (not my coin). But maybe I am going into too much detail now...

Heliodromus:
Sorry - I made a mistake. Your coin has Sol "standing right, head left", "holding globe close to body" (which means arm bent, elbow stuck out), which makes your coin RIC 340 (LDCR). RIC doesn't have an LDR bust for this type.

RIC's description of Sol's poses leaves a bit to be desired. There are basically two poses, either " standing left" or "standing right, head left", but RIC confuses things by footnoting the "standing left" description with "or facing, head left" which is unhelpful and should be ignored. Leu seem to have been confused by this which is why they call that LC bust variety RIC 325 (standing left) when it is actually RIC 339 (standing right, head left).

The only pose that deserves to be called (and looks like) "standing front" is the rare variant where Sol's face is frontal, not seen in profile to left or right, such as specimen below from Vienna.

Heliodromus:
Just to clarify Sol's poses, the thing to pay attention to is his feet. We always see one foot in profile, and one foot front-on looking like a ball/blob.

When Sol is "standing left" his profile foot and face are pointing in the same direction.

When Sol is "standing right, head left" his profile foot and face are pointing in opposite directions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version