General discussion > General Discussion

Fel Temp Reparatio "One captive"

(1/4) > >>

Fel Temp Reparatio:
This is my post. I'm Italian.  I'm  happy to be part of this forum.
I saw on the net a FEL TEMP REPARATIO "one captive" from Thessalonica for Constantius II.
For example:
[https://www.nummus-bible-database.com/monnaie-81943.htm][/url]
I read that this tipology was minted only in Thessalonica, but I don't understand why.
Can you help me?
Sorry for my english.
Best regards.
Fel Temp Reparatio

Victor:
Hello and welcome.

This type might reference the defeat of Magnentius in 353.

Heliodromus:
Yes, I think this is a reaction to Magentius & Decentius taking Siscia in 351 AD, so we have this Fel Temp type, similar to Magnentius' VICTORIA AVG ET CAES, issued from Constantius's nearest mint of Thessalonica for himself and Gallus. The Sirmium may not have yet been open - it was created in response to Magnentius taking Siscia.

Fel Temp Reparatio:
Victor, Heliodromus...thanks a lot for your answer, very intersting.
But, on the book of Shawn Caza "Late roman bronze coin", I read that the figure on the reverse is probably Costantius Gallus, regarding his campaign in Mesopotamia. In this case, however,  I don't understand the link with Thessalonica.

Victor:
Shawn has his own opinions, which are not necessarily facts. The Magnentius reference seems much more likely; while trying to tie this type to something a new Caesar did seems to be quite a stretch. Magnentius was also the biggest threat to the Empire and much more worthy of commemorating on a coin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version