Coin talk > Fakes

Constantine I SPES PVBLIC from Constantinople

(1/1)

Victor:
I am sure this coin is either an unofficial issue, or more likely, a modern copy-- the patina has that glued on look. The obverse legend is wrong, it should have MAX. This bust type is not known with this reverse and the bust is rough looking compared to the usual graceful busts from Constantinople. The person that bought it messaged me and I told him my concerns and he was able to cancel the purchase. Of course, this means it will soon show back up.

Lech has a page for it already-- https://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/7con-26.html

seller description-

IMPERIO ROMANO. CONSTANTINO I. Follis. Constantinopolis (327). A/ Cabeza diademada a der.; CONSTANTINVS (AVG). R/ Labarum con 3 medallones aplastando serpiente; SPES PVBLIC. A/-//CONS. AE 2,43 g. 16,1 mm. RIC-26 var. MBC-/BC+. Rara.

six2ten:
The imitation that just sold in Lars Ramskold’s part 2 has the same obverse legend so consistent at least. Would need to see in hand to ascertain whether the patina is genuine or not of course

https://leunumismatik.com/en/lot/42/5382

Victor:
Sorry for the confusing post. I was not suggesting that the coin could not be an ancient imitation because of the obverse legend, merely that it could not be an official issue. Even the patina means little as there are at least two Vcoins dealers that glue "patinas" on ancient coins.

Heliodromus:
Yes, obviously unofficial for a whole slew of reasons:

- wrong bust type (not contemporaneous with reverse type issues)
- wrong bust style (unofficial - doesn't match any mint - this is not a modified specimen of any genuine coin)
- wrong obv legend (missing MAX)
- weight too low
- flan & die much too small

The last one here is perhaps the most telling - this isn't even a half hearted attempt to make a realistic fake that would pass any sort of modern inspection, which makes me think it may be an ancient creation rather than a modern one (or a modern fake of an ancient imitation  :) ).

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Heliodromus on July 17, 2023, 09:55:27 AM ---this isn't even a half hearted attempt to make a realistic fake that would pass any sort of modern inspection

--- End quote ---

I also prefer to believe that this coin is an ancient imitation but as we can see on eBay, reasoning "to bad to be modern fake" not always works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version