Author Topic: VRBS ROMA BEATA from Rome  (Read 202 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
VRBS ROMA BEATA from Rome
« on: July 08, 2023, 01:29:16 PM »

This coin was struck in Rome under Constantine II during the three month interregnum after the death of Constantine I. There was also a different Constantinopolis coin with VICTORIA AVG reverse issued alongside this type.

VRBS ROMA BEATA
A.D. 337
17mm   2.0g
Obv. VRBS ROMA BEATA; helmeted and mantled bust of Roma left.
Rev. She-wolf left with twins (Romulus and Remus); above, wreath between two stars.
In ex. branch R Q branch
RIC VIII Rome 55

Offline Joshmaggosh

Re: VRBS ROMA BEATA from Rome
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 06:17:00 PM »
Cool coin! I didn’t know these existed. A couple questions:
1. Do you know how they’re dated specifically dated to the interregnum?
2. Are they rare and hard to find? I want one. 😁

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: VRBS ROMA BEATA from Rome
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 07:40:38 PM »
I don't know that they are specifically dated to the three month period...it's more of a hypothesis. RIC dates these from 337 until the death of Constantine II in 340. Given their rarity, they had to have been struck for a very limited time and it makes sense that some special types may have been struck during that uncertain period as some feel good propaganda. Though they are pretty rare, they do pop up occasionally.   

The Constantinopolis types are also fairly rare. but show up more often. Below is an example that I sold with the description--

"This type, along with VRBS ROMA BEATA, was only struck in Rome, after the death of Constantine I. They were issued during an interregnum of some three months before his three sons were proclaimed Augusti on 9 Sept 337.

The Constantinopolis coin is different from the normal type for two reasons-- because it has a reverse legend of VICTORIA AVG while the normal type is anepigraphic and it also depicts Victory with a wreath and palm branch instead of the regular sceptre and shield. I believe that the reverse legend coupled with the new attributes of Victory are meant to reassure the citizens of Rome- Constantine's son was victorious (the legend VICTORIA AVG and the wreath) but now the Empire is at peace (the palm branch)."

Constantinopolis
A.D. 337- 340
15mm    1.6gm
CONSTANTINOPOLIS; laureate, helmeted, wearing imperial mantle, holding scepter. 
VICTORIA AVG; Victory stg. on prow, holding wreath and palm. 
in exergue R ✶ E