Author Topic: CONSTANTIVS I 213a LUGDUNUM  (Read 292 times)

Offline Adriaan78

CONSTANTIVS I 213a LUGDUNUM
« on: January 06, 2024, 10:29:46 AM »
Dear all,

I am big fan of large follis from Trier and Lugdunum. I have this nice but common GENIO POPVLI ROMAN follis in my collection (picture 1). I was wondering if the reverse legend reads: CAES or CAE. It is a nice coin with almost no wear and almost full silvering. I do not see any obvious hints of a S in the spot where it should be (picture 2 and 3). Also comparing it to another example in my collection (picture 4) makes me think it is CAE. RIC VI does not list the CAE variant. However, Zschucke notes the existence of the CAE variant (picture 5, (t)). It is also known for Galerius in the same series (Emission 2 295 AD). I would like to hear your opinion!

Best,
Adriaan

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: CONSTANTIVS I 213a LUGDUNUM
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 01:34:56 PM »
I think it is probably a clogged die, especially since there is room for CAES

Offline Heliodromus

Re: CONSTANTIVS I 213a LUGDUNUM
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 05:35:44 PM »
I agree - it's not a normal abbreviation, and also rare to see space left at the end of the legend. Typically if they misjudged the spacing for first half of legend, you'll see the second half spread out so that all space is used up rather than leaving a gap.

The only place I can recall "CAE" being used deliberately is early Rome mint for Magnentius where instead of the legend starting with "IMP C" they used "IMP CAE" or sometimes "IM CAE", but this was systematic and presumably the result of them realizing ahead of time that a longer legend would be difficult to fit.