Author Topic: Constantine II BEATA TRANQVILLITAS from Trier...Chapmanslade Hoard  (Read 245 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
This hoard was discovered on 18 January 1993 in Chapmanslade in Wiltshire. It comprised 5,200 coins with all but 12 issued after A.D. 317 and the latest coins were from A.D. 337.

I won this BEATA coin from the Chapmanslade Hoard. I was interested in it for three reasons-- #1 it is a hoard coin  #2 it is a plate in Coin Hoards from Roman Britain 10 (#238) and #3 it is not listed in RIC.

Crispus
A.D. 321- 323
18mm     2.3gm
IVL CRISPVS NOB C; bust l., helmeted, cuir., shield on l. shoulder, Victory on globe in r. hand.
BEATA TRANQVILLITAS; globe set on altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX; above, three stars.
In ex.  [P]TR crescent
RIC VII Trier -- ; RMBT 247; Chapmanslade CHRB X 238 (this coin)

Interestingly, as I was reading in CHRB about this hoard, there was a section about coins that were not in RIC. This coin (#238) was not listed. I read on and saw that they considered this coin an unofficial issue.

However, there is another example, die matched with this one, that clearly shows they are official.

https://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/7tri-402_s.html

According to “Die Römische Münzserie Beata Tranquillitas in der Prägestätte Trier 321-323” (RMBT), though hesitatingly with ?'s, the shield is engraved with Constantine I seated beside Crispus with Constantine II in between.