Author Topic: Constantine's first coin from London...Ex Rauceby Hoard  (Read 445 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine's first coin from London...Ex Rauceby Hoard
« on: May 26, 2022, 02:03:45 PM »
I have seen three other examples of this coin recently (I was super jealous of the example Congius showed on CT) but missed them all. I decided not to miss this one, so I bid crazy and won it for stupid money...yay me :P

This is the first coin struck for Constantine from London and it also from the Rauceby Hoard. I am happy to add this one to my London trays.

Constantine I
A.D. 306
28mm     9.1g
CONSTANTINVS NOBILI C; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
GENIO POPVLI ROMANI; Genius standing left, tower on head, loins draped, r. holding patera, l. cornucopiae.
RIC VI London 66; LMCC 4.04.009

Ex Rauceby Hoard

Offline Heliodromus

Re: Constantine's first coin from London...Ex Rauceby Hoard
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 05:59:50 PM »
Congrats! You really never know when another of these may, or may not, come along...

It seems the British Museums coins for Constantine for this issue are now about 50/50 from two hoards 100 years apart ... Llangarren (1912), and Rauceby (2017).

Offline six2ten

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 12:32:12 AM »
is there a complete listing of the Rauceby copies by RIC number etc. available ? I had no luck searching on the PAS site a while ago

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 12:45:44 AM »
this chart is as far as they have done so far, just showing number from cities but no RIC #

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 07:33:09 AM »
is there a complete listing of the Rauceby copies by RIC number etc. available ? I had no luck searching on the PAS site a while ago

There's no complete report available yet (to the public at least), as far as I'm aware.

When I was in touch with the FLO, he said there's a book in preparation on tetrarchic hoards that will have a chapter on the Rauceby hoard, and should come out this year.

In the meantime, 375 coins of the 3099 total ended up at the British Museum, and 193 of those are on their website (with attribution, where applicable), and can be found by searching for "Rauceby". Unfortunately only 2 coins there have photos so far.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/search?keyword=rauceby

This one (unlisted) appears to be the star of the hoard as far as I'm concerned, although there were other rarities such as a Maximianus Romae Aeter that the BM also took.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_2022-4018-68

Offline six2ten

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 08:20:22 AM »
Thanks both! Hopefully publication will not take as long as Prestwich (found 1972) and Wicklewood (found 1989), 2 hoards of Norman pennies still to be published