Author Topic: Constantine London coins of the day  (Read 496 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine London coins of the day
« on: May 18, 2022, 01:46:18 PM »
CNG has been auctioning off the impressive Paul DiMarzio collection of London coins and the bidding has been very competitive. I won 2 out of the 4 that I was bidding on today and am looking forward to adding them to my collection, as I did not have an example of ROMAE RESTITVTAE and foolishly sold my CLARITAS example a few years ago.

Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. Æ Follis (24mm, 4.10 g, 6h). Londinium (London) mint. Struck circa AD 312-313. Laureate and cuirassed bust right / ROMAE RE STITVTAE, Roma seated left, holding branch in right hand and globe in left; *|–//PLN. RIC VI 273; C&T 7.12.006. Brown patina, surfaces a bit rough. VF. Very rare.

From the Paul DiMarzio Collection, purchased from Mike Vosper, 1 October 2009.

Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. Æ Follis (19mm, 3.41 g, 6h). Londinium (London) mint. Struck AD 317-318. Laureate and cuirassed bust right / CLARITAS REIPVBLICAE, Sol standing left, chlamys across left shoulder, right hand raised, holding globe in left hand; (crescent)|*//PLN. RIC VII –; C&T 8.12.002. Brown patina. Good VF. Rare.

From the Paul DiMarzio Collection, purchased from Zach Beasley (Beast Coins), 8 March 2007.

Offline six2ten

Re: Constantine London coins of the day
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 04:33:51 AM »
Well done! I’m 0 from 4!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 08:09:24 AM »
Sorry that you did not win any of your bids...the prices got pretty high on a few.

Offline Adriaan78

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 02:43:58 PM »
Great acquisitions Victor!  I also placed a bid on the ROMAE RE STITVTAE. Nice coin, rare and a very nice condition. Bidding was fierce. I had my eye on 8 coins but if the opportunity was there I would have bid on far more. Eventually won 2 coins and 1 lot (actually did not to expect to win the lot as it was one of the rare lots to go under the estimate). Like in the previous auction (CNG 120) I had my eye on a sol in quadriga type... however these proved to be out of my reach...

Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. Æ Follis (23mm, 4.68 g, 6h). Adventus Type. Londinium (London) mint. Struck circa AD 311-312. Laureate and cuirassed bust right / Constantine I riding left, right hand raised, holding spear in left hand, on horse pawing seated captive to left; –|*//PLN. RIC VI 133; C&T 7.01.003. Brown patina, weakly struck reverse. Near EF.

Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. Æ Follis (21.5mm, 4.28 g, 6h). Londinium (London) mint. Struck circa AD 312-313. Laureate and cuirassed bust right / FELICI TA S AVGG NN, Roma, helmeted, seated left, holding branch in right hand and globe in left; *|–//PLN. RIC VI 246 var. (break in rev. legend); C&T 7.09.008. Brown patina, light roughness. Good VF. Rare variety.

The lot also contained the ROMAE RE STITVTAE variety. However, in rough condition... still like it though...

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 06:29:12 PM »
congrats on your wins. I was also watching the Sol in quadriga this auction and last, but they all went for more than I was willing to spend.