Author Topic: left facing Maximianus CONSERVATOR from Siscia  (Read 382 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
left facing Maximianus CONSERVATOR from Siscia
« on: November 19, 2021, 08:43:32 AM »

Not in RIC for the left facing bust, also unusual how the reverse legend is broken by the workshop letter.

Maximianus
A.D. 289- 290
Ӕ Antoninianus   23mm     4.1g
IMP C M A VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG; radiate and cuirassed bust left.
CONSERVATOR AV-GG; Maximianus holding sceptre, and Hercules, leaning on club; standing face to face, sacrificing at altar; A in right field.
In ex. • XXI•HP•
RIC Vii Siscia 580 var.

This is my fourth coin (out of 14 total) from the series that is not in RIC

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/CONSERVATOR/

Offline Heliodromus

Re: left facing Maximianus CONSERVATOR from Siscia
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 10:13:34 AM »
Very nice!

I think I mentioned before that I once went looking for all officina placement varieties of these (photos, not purchases): left/right exergue + left/right field. The only one I was never able to find was Diocletian with officina A in right field.

The right field officina placement is tough for Maximianus with Hercules' elbow in the way (sometimes lionskin too). Interesting that being pushed out into the area of the legend didn't deter them from sometimes still choosing to place it there!

Here's one where Hercules' pose seems to have been compromised (straight arm) just to fit the officina in, although this one seems not to have been done by the best-skilled engraver - evrerything is pretty cramped.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: left facing Maximianus CONSERVATOR from Siscia
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »
out of 6 that I have with right field workshops, this is the only one that broke the legend.

besides workshop placements there is also a lot of variation with the dots, if any, like XXIHP versus • XXI•HP• or something like XXIΓ•ΛI• and •Γ•XXI•ΛI• which moves around the workshop but is not consistent with dot usage.

I also pay attention to parallel and divergent ties, though I have not noticed much of a pattern, if any...maybe just random whim of the engraver.