Coin talk > Crisis of the 3rd Century

Mildenhall Hoard discovered in 1833

(1/2) > >>

Victor:
I just won a lot of 49 coins from the Mildenhall Hoard. It was discovered in 1833. There were 1,286 coins from the 3rd century. One was a denarius of Caracalla and the rest were antoniniani from Valerian to Aurelian. Hopefully it will be an interesting group. The auction only showed 10 coins, so maybe the rest will not be a complete disappointment.

I have attached the 1954 article from Numismatic Chronicle about the hoard, if anyone is interested.

Pharsalus:
Congratulations Victor, that’s an early provenance and an interesting article! One thing that strikes me as odd though is the inclusion of Probus in the auction listing; the article suggests Aurelian was the latest emperor, with burial around 270 CE. Maybe CNG meant Aurelian?

Victor:
Yes, the latest coins in the hoard were from Aurelian, so CNG just made a mistake in their listing.

Pharsalus:
That makes sense given the order they listed the emperors too. The article bodes well for the Aurelians; there were only 5 in the whole hoard, and the article suggests they were in “excellent” condition. Please post some follow-up photos of the goodies when they come!

Victor:
I will post some some...doubt I will get an Aurelian in the group, but I might get lucky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version