Author Topic: POP ROMANVS  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
POP ROMANVS
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
The POP ROMANVS type was issued circa A.D. 330 and this half- “centenionales” was likely a donative issued to commemorate the founding of Constantinople. There are two types, the star reverse and bridge reverse. The two reverses probably represent the cities of Rome and Constantinople, the star for Constantinople and the bridge for Rome. There has been speculation that the bridge is an allusion to Constantine's victory at the Milvian Bridge but it seems unlikely given how many years had passed, it is probably just a bridge over a river. These coins were included in RIC VIII because when RIC VII was published, numismatists believed that these coins were struck circa A.D. 340, however the Llanbethery Hoard of Constantinian coins, which had one example, proved that these coins were struck earlier.

Commemorative
A.D. 330
14mm    1.2gm
POP ROMANVS, laureate & draped bust of the Roman people left, cornucopia over shoulder
REV: Bridge over river and mintmark of CONSS
RIC VIII Constantinople 21

A.D. 330
13mm   .94gm
POP ROMANVS- laureate & draped bust of the Roman people left, cornucopia over shoulder
REV- wreath surrounding star and mintmark of CONSZ
RIC VIII Constantinople 22

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: POP ROMANVS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »
Hello Martin and welcome.

In the 1960 volume of The Numismatic Chronicle, George Boon has an article A CONSTANTINIAN HOARD FROM LLANBETHERY, NEAR BARRY, CO. GLAMORGAN

The hoard was discovered in 1957 by a farmer. 814 coins were recovered, 767 of them in a pot. Except for six radiates, the coins are from A.D. 313- 346... mainly between 330- 335. Constans visited Britain in 342- 343, probably because of a military emergency, likely pirate raids from Ireland. If a "known occasion for the burial of the hoard has to be chosen, the crisis of 342-3 is a convenient one." This info is from the first page of the article, pictured below.

I think you can access the article from JSTOR, though you may have to register. If you can't access it and have more questions about the article, let me know, as I have the 1960 NC.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/42662731?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Offline Localfisher

Re: POP ROMANVS
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »
Thank you Victor, thats brilliant.