Author Topic: Constantine II VLPP from Siscia  (Read 293 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine II VLPP from Siscia
« on: May 27, 2021, 09:11:19 AM »
RIC does not list this emission with the longer obverse legend, only N C versus NOB C. There was an example in the Bikić-Do Hoard #387; which looks like a double die match to this one. This coin should come before Siscia 99. The reverse has a bit of a double strike, most evident from the muddled S on the altar.

In his analysis of the Bikić-Do Hoard, Claude Brenot, wrote that this reverse was probably struck with an earlier obverse die and calls it a hybrid. This only makes sense if the obverse legend was discontinued; but it was continued with the next emission (which RIC calls irregular) and with the next reverse type—VIRTVS EXERCIT.

Sirmium VIII. Études de Numismatique Danubienne: Trésors, Lingots, Imitations. Monnaies de Fouilles IV au XII Siècle (Rome: Ecole  francaise de Rome, 1978)

http://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/7sis-99_g.html    second picture below

I think my coin might be the plate coin. There are some flan differences that I believe are because the plate coin picture was overly edited and the edges were altered a little. The blurry black and white pictures make it hard to match up little details, but a lot is looking the same.

Constantine II
A.D. 319- 320
18x19mm        3.5g
CONSTANT-INVS IVN NOB C; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
VICT•LAETAE PRINC PERP; two Victories stg., facing one another, together holding wreath inscribed VOT PR on altar inscribed with S.
In ex. ΓSIS✶
RIC VII Siscia –-

Ex-Peter Weiß

Offline Lech Stępniewski

Re: Constantine II VLPP from Siscia
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 09:17:08 AM »
I think my coin might be the plate coin.

I agree. It is not impossible. At least these coins are from the same dies. Unfortunately, for unknown reason Brenton have not given the weight of this coin.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 09:21:00 AM by Lech Stępniewski »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 09:20:14 AM »
What makes me believe it even more is that I am posting a Licinius II which also looks like a die match, plus I have 15 other Constantinian coins, all with the same patinas, that I suspect came from the same hoard (Bikić-Do?) also. I checked the others, but none were plate coins.

https://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php/topic,2071.msg5916/topicseen.html#msg5916

Offline Lech Stępniewski

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 09:29:49 AM »
There are some details which are very convincing but pictures show also some differences.