Author Topic: Itchy trigger finger  (Read 485 times)

Offline Heliodromus

Itchy trigger finger
« on: March 19, 2021, 10:17:31 AM »
Just accidently bought this duplicate this morning. Maybe a sign of old age.  ::)

This is RIC VI 47b which was at the old ~6.5g (1/48 lb?) standard, before being reduced to 1/72 lb in the following issue (wreath+globe vs eagle+thunderbolt).

RIC lists this type as common, but I'm not so sure. Checking on Ancient Coin Search for "thessalonica jupiter" there's not a single specimen, but a good number of the SM.TS wreath+globe issue, and a whole bunch of the following TSA one. There's also a fair number of the aureus version of this type, but that maybe reflects the tendency for higher end coins in auctions rather than the relative scarcity of this type in gold vs bronze.

Oh well, now I have two. Hopefully that won't become three.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Itchy trigger finger
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 11:12:33 AM »
could be old age  ;D

it's happened to me a few times...once I even bought a duplicate book.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 11:54:11 AM »
Speaking of books ...

When you bought it, were you able to find a US supplier for Drost's "Le monnayage de Maxence" ?

I can only find it from a couple of French sources, that want $50+ shipping to US for it.

Offline Nikko

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
Ben, I was planning to buy that coin too :D  if you don’t want it I would be happy to take over.
Nicola

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 12:40:42 PM »
I can only find it from a couple of French sources, that want $50+ shipping to US for it.

Unfortunately I bought mine from a French seller, Paul-Francis Jacquier, and paid the high shipping rate. I try not to think about all the money I have paid for shipping books...once or twice the shipping was more than the book.

Offline Heliodromus

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 09:14:00 PM »
Ben, I was planning to buy that coin too :D  if you don’t want it I would be happy to take over.
Nicola

I'm going to hang into it for time being, Nikko, but if I change my mind I'll let you know.

Ben