Author Topic: Constans FEL TEMP horseman from Siscia with high bids  (Read 467 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constans FEL TEMP horseman from Siscia with high bids
« on: August 31, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
Here is a nice example of this type that I was watching. I put what I thought was a decent bid of 185 euros, but this coin hammered for 550 euros. It is very nice, but I was a bit surprised that it hammered for so high. Of course, if it had been a series that I actively and passionately collected, I might feel differently. This is a very common coin, but the high grade does elevate it to another level.

Constans AD 337-350. Siscia
Centenionalis Æ
26 mm, 5,17 g
D N CONSTANS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right, to left A / FEL TEMP REPARATIO, soldier advancing left, spearing fallen horseman, A in left field; •ESIS• in exergue.
good very fine
RIC 254.

Offline six2ten

Re: Constans FEL TEMP horseman from Siscia with high bids
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 04:35:30 PM »
That’s some price! There certainly seems to be an increase in very high prices for common but very good condition late bronzes (not based on data, just a ‘sense’!)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »

I can say from quite a few recent auctions, that I seem to be paying higher prices.

Offline tjaart

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »
I have to agree with your sentiments. Campgates that previously would have gone for between EUR40-60 are now regularly hitting EUR80 for good examples. I wonder what is driving the market? I have thought of maybe consigning a few pieces to generate some money for new campgates, but I just don't seem to get around to it.