Author Topic: Constantine I SAECVLI FELICITAS from Rome  (Read 481 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I SAECVLI FELICITAS from Rome
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:50:00 AM »

I was one of the underbidders on this rare type

"Constantine I, 307/310-337. Follis (Bronze, 20 mm, 2.92 g, 12 h), Rome, 318-319. IMP CONSTA-NTINVS AVG Laureate, helmeted and cuirassed bust of Constantine I to right. Rev. SAECVLI F-ELICITAS / P - R / RQ Shield inscribed AVG set on garlanded cippus. RIC 159. Extremely rare and with a very interesting reverse. Very fine."

Offline Nikko

Re: Constantine I SAECVLI FELICITAS from Rome
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:18:46 AM »
Maybe I’m wrong, but I suspect a major rise up of prices for nice/rare Constantine I coins in recent times.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:32:52 AM »
part of the rise in prices is probably due in large part to ease of access. The rise of internet forums and social media makes it easier to learn about ancient coins. When I first started collecting, it was all virtually all mail order, since the internet was still in its infancy. Now, anybody can google "ancient coins" and find dozens of online shops and auctions. It's too easy now...you used to have to work a little to collect ancients. I am sounding old...back in my day, we had to walk to school...uphill both ways!  :D

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 01:32:27 PM »

it's not only nice/rare Constantine coins with price increases. I won these two unofficial VLPP's and after fees, the price was over $200 per coin. That is actually a ridiculous price to pay for these. A few years ago I would have expected to pay $20-30 on eBay. Of course, there is always a premium for auctions like Leu, CNG etc.