Author Topic: Constantine I as Hercules...Victory over Maxentius  (Read 840 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I as Hercules...Victory over Maxentius
« on: July 01, 2020, 11:46:34 PM »
I just won this one in the last CNG auction. This rarer reverse type was issued after the defeat of Maxentius. During this period, the mint of Rome struck coins for Maximinus and Licinius I also, but a few types, including this one, were struck only for Constantine I. It is also an unlisted workshop (RIC VI only lists P and Q) and is ex- Dattari.

The use of the Hercules reverse is perhaps a reference to the Tetrarchic system in which rulers belonged to either the family of Jupiter or Hercules; though there were HERCVLI VICTORI reverses issued from the East for all three rulers. On a side note-- there is also a herculean allusion from Praxagoras of Athens via the review of Photius in which Constantine was forced by Galerius to fight a lion.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/Constantine/Photius.html

Constantine I
A.D. 312- 313
21mm   4.7g
IMP C CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
HERCVLI VICTORI; Hercules standing right, leaning on club and holding Victory on globe and lion’s skin.
In ex. R S
RIC VI Rome 299

Offline Gavin

Re: Constantine I as Hercules...Victory over Maxentius
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »
That's a new reverse type for me. I was aware only of the "Hercules Farnese" reverse.

BTW, I enjoyed that brief Photis history. I think there's an erratum in the footnote: "Flourished in the fourth century B.C."

That should be A.D., unless I'm missing something.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »
Yes, the BC bit is wrong. I copied and pasted the translation and did not change any of it, but I think I should change that part.

UPDATE: I changed the B.C. bit and font...why did I like papyrus so much in 2007?

Online Severus

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 02:41:46 PM »
Boy I'm upset that I didn't notice this coin -- I even browsed through that auction and the Dattari lots specifically.  :-[
But the silver lining is it saved you at least a couple bid increments of money!  8)
Congrats on a nice acquisition!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »
But the silver lining is it saved you at least a couple bid increments of money!  8)

It was pretty close to my max, so you might have got it. I miss a lot of great coins because it is so hard to check all the auctions.