Author Topic: I hate when people buy from my Vcoins store to resell on eBay  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Coins are bought and sold, over and over; but I really hate it when people buy from my Vcoins store to list on eBay; especially when they are trying for 3x what I sold a coin for. This happens more than you might expect. Below is the most recent example of someone that bought four coins from me and then marked them up at three times what I charged. What angers me the most is that eBay is supposed to be a place where you can find a bargain, but times have changed over the years...lots of shady characters. This guy also gives COA's with the coin...I mean, he is in the ANA, so WOW. Seriously, you know what it takes to be a member in the ANA...payment, and that's it. Anyway, I always block these people from my Vcoins store and eBay sales when I find them.

Offline Gavin

Re: I hate when people buy from my Vcoins store to resell on eBay
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »
Agree. And as a collector who buys from VCoins, I fear this kind of thing might encourage dealers with reasonable prices such as the present company to increase their retail prices.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 12:44:29 PM »
I actually just had that conversation with someone on the phone asking about a discount and I explained that if I sell for any lower, dealers would be buying all my coins and marking them up. I have a policy now that I will not even sell to fellow Vcoins dealers after one bought several coins from me and relisted at quite a mark-up and even used my pictures. I have even had more than one person ask if I give dealer discounts...I almost didn't even know how to respond. Lots of people buy and sell coins, but I think there is an ethical limit to pricing.There are days when this business exhausts me mentally, but fortunately I am still passionate enough about ancients and have enough pleasant interaction with people that it balances out.

Below is another person I recently blocked. He bought the Nero coin from me on Vcoins for $165. He relisted it on eBay for almost $400 and then reduced it to $300. Notice he also used my slab picture...merely lightened it. He also, brazenly, asked me for a discount once, before I found out what he was doing and subsequently blocked him. Maybe in some sense of karmic justice, this guy was on another forum complaining about a lost overseas shipment which he valued at $1000.

Offline Gavin

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 01:00:23 PM »
Well, I for one appreciate the way you run your business. I wish I had more money to buy more coins from you.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 01:03:41 PM »

Thank you Gavin, I appreciate it. I guess I believe that most collectors are decent enough folks, but the small percentage of people that are shady are really souring my outlook.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 03:04:36 PM »

Just venting a bit. Last week I canceled a dealers order and refunded him after explaing my policy. Today an email from another dealer asking about a bulk discount. He said he had bought from me before, so I blocked him, because I didn't know he was a dealer...thanks, I guess.  :o