Author Topic: Constantine DAFNE dots issue  (Read 576 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine DAFNE dots issue
« on: June 22, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »
I have been interested in the DAFNE issues for many years and my thinking over something on the reverse has changed, or become less sure. In the past, I have described the circular object in the center as a "centering dot", these are found on many coins. However sometimes the "Dafne dots" are not really all that circular. I always wrote that off as other parts of the design , like the wing of Victory, clashing with the dot. However, I am thinking maybe it is a helmet in the lap of Dafne. The reverse does feature a captive and trophy of arms with shield under Victory, so perhaps she also has a helmet in her lap. On the example below it seems like a visor on plume visible on the "Dafne dot." A second example is below , in which the dot looks more like just a dot and then two more examples of varying design. my page with more Dafne coins-- http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/dafgal/

Offline Gavin

Re: Constantine DAFNE dots issue
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 11:26:48 AM »
That top coin definitely looks like a helmet to me.

On a slightly unrelated note, these captives always seemed to me to have some kind of bulbous hat on, but RIC insists that theirappearance indicates that they are "bare-headed." I wonder what the association is--that barbarians/captives are unkempt and can't get to a barber (barbar?) shop?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine DAFNE dots issue
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 12:17:54 PM »
can't get to a barber (barbar?) shop?

I saw what you did there.  :D

Yes, the captives are probably meant to be portrayed as unkempt, but it might also reference a specific type of haircut, like some FEL TEMP horseman coinage have the enemy with a Persian look. The hair reminds me of the bowlcut from Moe from the Three Stooges