Author Topic: Constantius I London GENIO from the 1865 Falmouth hoard  (Read 457 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantius I London GENIO from the 1865 Falmouth hoard
« on: November 24, 2020, 12:26:47 PM »
The coin below is a Constantius I GENIO from London that was part of a hoard discovered in Falmouth, England in 1865.

"THE Royal Cornwall Gazette of Friday, 21 April, 1865, in col. 3 on page 8, reports the discovery of a large hoard of Roman coins ‘on Tuesday last’ (i.e. 18 April) at Pennance Farm in the parish of Budock, just south of Falmouth."

https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/2011_BNJ_81_1.pdf

This is the oldest (by date of discovery) hoard coin that I have...does anyone know what is the oldest documented LRB hoard from which you can buy coins?

Offline thejewk

Re: Constantius I London GENIO from the 1865 Falmouth hoard
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »

LMCC 5.01.003

Here's my coin from the same hoard, along with an envelope annotated by Lord Stewartby when he was writing the report that you link in your post.  Very similar corrosion on mine as on yours too.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »

I expect that they all have similar surfaces. If anyone is interested, Silbury Coins currently has one example, pictured below, still for sale from this hoard.

Offline thejewk

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 05:30:42 AM »
I don't have a Divo Constantius issue yet, but I think I'll wait for a decently priced one in better condition before I get one.  It's a handsome design, so I want the reverse to be as clear as possible within budgetary constraints.