Author Topic: COMITI AAVVGG  (Read 726 times)

Offline Per D

COMITI AAVVGG
« on: July 16, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
This is not a pretty coin (and the rough, glossy surface makes it difficult to photograph). I was nevertheless quite happy to find it, as it is an uncommon type.

CONSTANTINVSPFAVG Laureate and cuirassed bust right.
COMITI – AAVVGG Sol standing left, chlamys over left shoulder, holding globe and whip. PLN in exergue. Star in right field.
Weight: 3,60 g. Max ø 23,5 mm.
RIC VI: 146a

During the period between Maximian’s death and Constantine’s invasion of Italy, the London mint issued several series of Sol-types. Some of these bear the unusual legend COMITI-AAVVGG (e.g. RIC VI: 116, 128, 146 – 149, 244). Although scarce or rare, coins with this legend were apparently struck for some time, and with several different mintmarks, so it must be a deliberate design.

I have two questions concerning this legend:

1.   What is the meaning of the doubled A:s and V:s?

2.   What could have been the purpose of issuing coins with this legend alongside the more common COMITI AVGG NN? Is there some subtle but meaningful difference?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: COMITI AAVVGG
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 04:40:09 PM »
I think that this legend is probably just inconsistency or perhaps confusion among the mint workers. Around the same time (RIC 133- 145) London issued ADVENTVS types with ADVENTVS AVG, ADVENTVS AVG N and ADVENTVS AVGG NN, which also seems inconsistent. Note that the COMITI issues at the same time all have plural -- AAVVGG and AVGG NN.

Offline Per D

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 06:45:27 PM »
Thanks (again) for your response!

I can't think of a better explanation myself. Mint-specific oddities like this are strange, though, as central authorities obviously gave very specific instructions re: weight, design, and legends. (Speaking of confusion, I just noticed that RIC 146a and 147 have identical descriptions.)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 07:53:06 PM »
Speaking of confusion, I just noticed that RIC 146a and 147 have identical descriptions.

In the book "The London Mint of Constantius and Constantine" Cloke and Toone note this but suspect that the reference for 146a (Boursies Hoard #290) was misreported to the authors of RIC "as with an obverse legend of IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG and that there is a misprint in RIC and the obverse legend type should read 1a thus bringing it in line with RIC 146b and c with their corresponding long legends. Therefore Boursies no. 290 (Huvelin 19) is correctly an example of RIC 147 and RIC 146a does not appear to exist. Huvelin deleted the wrong coin."

here's a link to the Huvelin article “Les Deux Emissions Londoniennes.”

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/articles/Huvelin_Les_Deux_Emissions_Londoniennes.pdf