Author Topic: Lyon VLPP with odd bust  (Read 671 times)

Offline Per D

Lyon VLPP with odd bust
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:11:40 PM »
Hi all,

I thought I'd share photos of a couple of poorly preseved but interesting VLPPs from Lyon. The first coin is from the Munzkabinett in Berlin, the second one from my own collection, and both seem to be struck from the same obverse die.

IMPLICI NIVSAVG Laureate, draped (and cuirassed?) bust right with spear across right shoulder and shield on left arm.
[VICTORIAELAETPRINCPERP] Two Victories facing one another, holding shield/wreath with [VOT]/PR over garlanded altar. In exergue two captives back to back.
3, 49 g,  18,5 mm.

The Berlin specimen was the only one known to Bruun who listed it as RIC VII: 71. He described the bust as draped and with spear across right shoulder (G1), but added in a footnote that all details were not discernible on the worn and damaged coin. Later, Bastien, described the bust as also having a shield on left arm, and I believe the edge of a shield is visible on my specimen as well.

What I find interesting is not so much this barely visible adjunct to the bust, or the die match (to be expected for such an uncommon variety), but the clean-shaven, youthful look of the portrait. The only explanation I can think of is that the die-cutter mixed up the obverse legend with a portrait of Crispus, who is represented with somewhat similar bust types in the two captives-series. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Per D

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Lyon VLPP with odd bust
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing...It does look like a younger portrait than you would expect for Licinius I and he does indeed look clean shaven; though it is hard to be positive because of the condition of the coins. The hair looks more like a Licinius I haircut though. I have attached a typical Crispus and Licinius bust from Lyons. Crispus usually has his hair coming down his forehead while Licinius has a shorter (perhaps receding) hairline; but it is hard to be certain on the two examples.

The Berlin example was also the only example known to Bastien.

Offline Per D

Re: Lyon VLPP with odd bust
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 05:06:00 PM »
Thanks for your comment!

I guess we'll never know what this portrait is really about unless, perhaps, someone finds a better preserved specimen.