Author Topic: Constantius II - VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN - Trier RIC 204?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Joshmaggosh

Constantius II - VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN - Trier RIC 204?
« on: May 19, 2019, 06:02:57 PM »
This coin should be extremely common but I can't seem to find similar examples anywhere online.

So either I've attributed it incorrectly (and am probably missing something obvious), it's an very rare variant of a common type, or this coin is so uncared about that there are no examples online... anywhere.

I've attributed it with the assistance of Dane's spreadsheets. It appears to be Trier RIC 204 with a pearled diadem, as 203 has a rosette diadem.

Anyway can someone either verify that I'm not missing something and have this right, or point me in the direction of an attribution that will find the hundreds of examples that I was expecting to find.

Thanks!

Josh
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:07:08 PM by Joshmaggosh »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantius II - VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN - Trier RIC 204?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:15:09 PM »
I think that you are right about no one caring. This type is very common and there are nine different variations for this issue.

from RIC VIII "Coins in the name of Constans are nine times as numerous as those in the name of Constantius down to the last two marks, in which his predominance rises 25:1."

So the last two marks are the most common for Constantius II and include your example of TRP with branch and TRP• with branch. RIC gives both of these a rating of C4, the most common.

Offline Joshmaggosh

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:26:14 PM »
So it is Trier RIC 204. I thought I was going crazy or was just missing something.

I searched everywhere! Wildwinds, sales and galleries on FORVM, acsearch, ocre, Nvmmvs Bible II, coinproject, your (Victor’s) site, google searches... and everywhere else I could think of. I knew the coin was “common” so I was sure I was missing something. The only example I could find was in some German medal detecting site that required a login to get to the post..

How can a coin be so common and yet so missing from all of the usual resources? It’s a pretty coin so even if nobody else loves them, I love this one. I’d just like to find a few others for reference.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:08:16 PM by Joshmaggosh »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:35:13 PM »
I don't have any of these coins from Trier on my Constantius II page because they are so common. I would only ever have an example if it was in a group lot that I bought for another coin. My page is not good for trying to figure rarity, as it is geared towards rarer types or coins that I find interesting (there are not many FEL TEMP horsemen either) I have six examples of the Chi-Rho reverse from Trier struck during the Revolt of Poemenius, which are fairly rare; while I have none of the VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN from Trier, though they are common. I also do not have any examples for Constans; though I do have two unofficial examples.