Author Topic: Constantine I VLPP from Trier with Aegis on cuirass  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantine I VLPP from Trier with Aegis on cuirass
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:39:45 PM »
This coin is unusual because of the aegis on the cuirass. I have never seen one on a VLPP before, but Trier did use them occasionally on the BEATA types. It sold for $385.00 on VAuctions. This is the description that it was listed with--

Constantine I "The Great". A.D. 307-337. AE follis (2.87 g, 17.6 mm). Trier mint, struck A.D. 319. IMP CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG, laureate, helmeted, and cuirassed bust right. Cuirass decorated with an aegis / VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP, two Victories standing facing one another, setting shield inscribed VOT/PR on altar. Altar decorated with a star, dot STR in exergue. RIC 221 var (the aegis is not a listed bust type). EF and extremely rare, slight mark on cheek.

Note that the Aegis would not affect the RIC number, as cuirass, shield or helmet decorations do not change the bust type.

There are conflicting accounts, but according to the Iliad (which is not completely clear either), the Aegis, which was made by Hephaestus with the head of Medusa, is the shield or breastplate of Athena and Zeus. That is why Gorgons appear either on the shield or the cuirass of coins.