Author Topic: Information on part-time, distance based postgraduate numismatic degrees.  (Read 1836 times)

Offline tjaart

Dear board,

I have recently been toying with the idea of doing some postgraduate research in Numismatics. I have looked around a bit (mostly UK universities) but have not found much. And the ones that I have found were relatively expensive for part-time e.g. Warwick charges GBP15,000 per year for part time. I am basically looking for a university with a decent Numismatic reputation that allows distance-based (remote) part-time postgraduate degrees with a focus on numismatics.

I know a couple of people on the board have some postgraduate degrees and were wondering if you could provide any input? Any requirements that are considered general requirements for numismatics? Any suggested universities?

Thanks!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins

Good luck finding a university. I wish there was more interest in the US. When I was going to college, I tried to customize my history degree with ancient numismatics in mind. I minored in archaeology and took quite a bit of science, including two semesters of chemistry; which can be fairly useful in numismatics...i.e. talking about bronze disease or even composition of coins. I also took courses in Spanish, French, German and Latin, and though far from fluent in any, it really helps to know some basics when trying to translate something.

Offline tjaart

Thanks for the input, Victor. I am starting to realise this might be more difficult than I first thought. Will try and look around at some German universities as well.