Author Topic: Why has Carthage been assigned as the mint for the Tetrarch FEL KART series?  (Read 842 times)

Offline Pharsalus

I recently received this Maximianus Follis. I've been after one for a while, and this came up at a decent price and is on the heavier side:

AE Follis
Maximianus, 286 - 305 CE
Diameter: 28 mm,  Weight: 11.60 grams,  Die Axis: 6h
Obverse: IMP MAXIMIANVS PF AVG
                 Laureate bust to right.
Reverse: SALVIS AVGG ET CAESS FEL KART
                Personification of Carthage standing left, with fruits in both hands.
Mint: B, Carthage

My question is what are the reasons, other obviously than the reverse legend, that this issue has been assigned to Carthage? Im no expert, but I don't see anything particularly provincial about the die style or legend engraving. These are quite common indicating a very large issue; is there any other LRB series so common issued from Carthage? Are the find spots for this type often in North Africa?

Compare the reverse style to the less common FELIX ADVENT AVGG type, which has the Carthage mint clearly identified (coin and photo credit to Victor's Imperial Coins). I can easily believe that reverse figure has been engraved in Carthage. I'm far less sure about the massive FEL KART series.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins

RIC VI has a bit on it-

"The fact that the mint of Carthage was established in sudden connexion with military needs explains its reflection of the style of Rome in its portraiture- it would have been natural that models should be supplied from Rome to Carthage- and perhaps also the rapid sequence of aes issues. But, although Carthage may have drawn on Roman portrait models and certainly borrowed from Rome a system of officina- marking which assigned formal seniority to the four rulers, the types used by Carthage in all three metals were peculiar to herself...Genio Populi Romani never appears at Carthage, either during the first tetrarchy or later. Moreover , in contrast to the strong, neat style of the Roman- derived obverses, the reverse of Carthage coins show a treatment, much less skilled or sophisticated, which appears to mark them out as the products of local engravers little touched by metropolitan influences."

Another particular aspect is that these Carthage issues usually have a ragged flan.

though not always so evident, below is a SALVIS type that has a "less skillled or sophisticated" reverse.

Offline Pharsalus

Thank you Victor for taking the time to quote that. I don't have any RIC volumes, so it's an interesting insight.