Author Topic: Costantine in quadriga, Lugdunum mint.  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Nikko

Costantine in quadriga, Lugdunum mint.
« on: January 30, 2013, 04:17:45 AM »
It should be RIC VIII Lyons 12, but this coin is attested with a H6 bust  (only head velied).
Howerver, it looks clear to me that it is a D6 bust (veiled, drapped and curised).
We could also have RIC VIII Lyons 17: DIVO CONST-ANTINO P, no S in reverse field.

Bastien - "Le monnayage de l'atelier de Lyon" (De la mort de Constantin à la mort de Julien : 337-363)-    calls all Lugdunese busts of Divus Constantine "veiled, draped and cuirassed r.", some additionally with laurel wreath.
He found no RIC 12 with S in field, just RIC 17, palmPLG in ex. but no S in field:
his no. 23,  officina P like yours, five spec. recorded, BM, Berlin, 2 in Oxford, Gautier;
his no. 26, officina S, three spec., 2 in Vienna and 1 in a hoard.

Regards
Nicola

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Costantine in quadriga, Lugdunum mint.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
Great find...it is always nice to get the quadriga type from the Western mints, so much scarcer than their Eastern counterparts.

Offline Nikko

Re: Costantine in quadriga, Lugdunum mint.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
Great find...it is always nice to get the quadriga type from the Western mints, so much scarcer than their Eastern counterparts.

Thanks Victor. Actually i'm no longer interested in posthumous coins. I sold that part of my colelction and this is the only one i kept.
By the way, i think that Trier quadriga type is just scarse but Arles and Lyons are the rarest.