Author Topic: is this ethical?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
is this ethical?
« on: June 16, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
A Vcoins dealers asked about several coins and inquired about getting a dealer discount. I said no, as I don't have much of a profit margin for most of my coins. Anyway, he bought several and, surprise, he used my pictures and almost my identical descriptions. The only difference is the prices...they have gone up quite a bit. Is this ethical?

Offline Nikko

Re: is this ethical?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:34:12 AM »
The pictures are yours and he can’t use them.

Offline Genio popvli romani

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »
About the price ? Of course yes, it is ethical, it is the way of making business. However, you have sold your coins, may be he will not...
About pics and description ? Of course no, it is not ethical, first it is laziness ant two, it shows that he want to make profit with the work of others.
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »
We all buy and sell with making a proft in mind, but what bothered me was that it did not change venue, it only crossed the street. Perhaps I had customers watching these coins and thinking "maybe I should buy" and then it is sold. A few days later they notice it is back for sale (they noticed mainly because it was the same picture) but now a $45 coin is suddenly being sold for $85. I do not think that this sends a good message. However, I like to believe that I am more collector than dealer and hope that my prices reflect this philosophy. I will never make much money selling coins...I am happy if I make enough to fund more coins; but this usually works out well for my customers. I told someone else that I am not a good businessman, but I try to be a good person.

I also realize that my philosophy is fine for me; but does not necessarily work well for others. It's like this-- I have found the secret to life, the universe and everything-- but it is my secret...everyone has to find their own!  :D