Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius reproduction sold by supermoon516  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Marcus Aurelius reproduction sold by supermoon516
« on: March 19, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »
below is a Marcus Aurelius reproduction (she has other fakes also) being sold on eBay from supermoon516. This is a modern reproduction that you can buy from antiquanova

http://www.antiquanova.com/Marcus-Aurelius-Denarius-Rome-161-180-AD-tin-replica-coin-d227.htm

below is supermoon's ridiculous description...note how she bought it from someone who supposedly metal detected it in Greece from 100 feet down. Also notice how she says she can't guarantee authenticity but hopes it is real and worth a lot of money.

1 BC - 479 AD
This coin and quite a few others were brought into my store by a gentleman I know that goes metal detecting for ancient weaponary. He has no interest in coinage, also I know nothing about ancient coins, so I just ask what they are to other professionals, and they give me the titles and ABOUT time era.  With ancient coins it is very hard to get exact dates and exact titles. 
These specific coins came in with a bunch of other ancients that are also listed.  They were all found about 100ft underground in Greece.  100 of these were sent in randomly to NGC that were sold to auction companies.  About 70 of the lower grade ones, 10 of these very nice looking silver looking ones, and the other 20 were higher grade coppers, and bronzes.
The results were that all 70 of the uglier ones were authentic. 1 out of those 70 were actually
solid gold and the auction house paid me over 30grand for. 
10 of these higher grade silver ones
5 came back genuine restrikes making them worth 75-7,000 each
4 came back as reproductions making them worth 5-550.00 each
1 came back as an original making it worth 17,000

So, I can not gurantee anything with these higher grades, and I can not keep paying 40 dollars each to get these all I can only gurantee authentic with the lower grade silvers because those all came back 100% genuine originals.

Any way hopefully youre bidding on an original and get a decent paycheck
Regardless The artwork on these truly just take your breath away
Just holding one you feel this power
Its hard to explain

Good Luck on Your Bid
Hopefully you win

https://www.ebay.com/usr/supermoon516

and her picture below the coin

I messaged her on eBay and linked her to where she can buy these. I suspect, however, by her description, that she is a crook and does not care.

Yes, she is a crook. I heard back from her...she said this -- "Well thank you. It says they could be repros in the description"

Offline Pharsalus

Re: Marcus Aurelius reproduction sold by supermoon516
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »
Hmm I might be interested....I've always felt like genuine restrikes are are really undercollected field when it comes to ancients. Also, my heart goes out to the gentleman who dug a hole nine stories deep; seriously unlucky to get to the bottom and hit a bunch of repros.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Marcus Aurelius reproduction sold by supermoon516
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
I'm sure if you keep alert, you can find more for sale...probably even die matches!  ;D