Author Topic: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP...shield or wreath  (Read 1554 times)

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP...shield or wreath
« on: January 15, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »
I mentioned this in an earlier topic and thought it deserved more discussion. RIC VII describes the reverse of  the VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP coinage as   "two Victories stg., facing one another, together holding shield inscribed VOT PR"; but the object must actually be a wreath.

You can see the wreath decoration at the top of the above example at around 11 and 1 o'clock. All VLPP's have these (except for a rare few), though not always so apparent. Shields do not have these (compare with the shield on the obverse of the VLPP above), but not all wreaths show these decorations or ties either.

The second coin below is a fairly standard depiction of a wreath, but without the top decoration/ ties; which is located at the bottom. Note how the VOT coinage also has a legend inscribed in the wreath, like the VLPP.

There was a series of coinage for Magnentius and Decentius that has a very similar reverse to the VLPP. The description from RIC VIII correctly calls the object a wreath- "two Victories holding wreath inscribed with VOT V MVLT X"

Offline tenbobbit

Re: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP...shield or wreath
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:00:30 PM »
Hi Victor, what you say makes total sense.
I cant offer any science unfortunately but maybe there was a subliminal connection made with the Obverse having military garb.
Struggling to think of any other reason.

Offline Corduba

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »
Hi Victor,

When you say "You can see the wreath decoration at the top of the above example at around 11 and 1 o'clock."

Maybe it could be the victories´ hands.

Best regards, Ignacio.

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »
Maybe it could be the victories´ hands.

I can see why you might say that...below are some examples where it is more evident that they are ties/ decorations

Offline Corduba

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 01:56:07 PM »
These aren´t victories´ hands for sure.  😉.