Author Topic: Constantine II PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS From Trier  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Joshmaggosh

Constantine II PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS From Trier
« on: December 21, 2017, 02:24:40 AM »
Hi all,
I recently picked up this fun Constantine II PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS from Trier. I don't have the relevant volume of RIC so have been trying to match it using acsearch, Wildwinds, etc.

The problem I've been running into is that RIC 143, 144, 172, and 173 (and maybe more?) seem to all be similar PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS coins with matching field marks and legends. I think one of the differences is if the bust is seen from the rear or not but photos and discriptions are often mismatched.

Could someone please point out the differences between these coins? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Josh

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine II PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS From Trier
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
The bust on your coin is seen from the back, which in combination with the field marks, means it is Trier 172.

what separates these issues are the field marks

first series is T-F

143- seen from back
144- draped and cuirassed

second series is F-T

172- seen from back
173- draped and cuirassed
174-  cuirassed only

below are two coins from the first series, though with CLARITAS reverses, Trier 153 (seen from back) and Trier 154 (draped and cuirassed)

Offline Joshmaggosh

Re: Constantine II PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS From Trier
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
Thank you for the information Victor!

Wildwinds has RIC 144 listed with F-T field marks leading to my confusion. Many of the examples online have the bust styles mixed as well in photo examples. That all makes sense though and I suspected it was something like your explanation.

It's a nice looking coin, I really like the bare headed bust of little CII. I read somewhere that this type was mainly minted for Crispus so Constantine II versions are more rare. Not that rarity really matters. It's just fun to already have a harder to find type checked off the list.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:55:52 PM by Joshmaggosh »