Author Topic: Real or Fake  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Roety

Real or Fake
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:24:25 AM »
I have been a coin collector since I was a kid, but never collected ancient coins.  November 4th I purchased three coins see photos.
They are still enroute to me,   since then have bought a few low quality ones and been reading on this forum and others about all the Fakes being sold.
So I'm thinking they are probably Fakes, but from the photos I can't tell
Victor linked the fake seller list for me (this seller only sold these coins and is not on any list) .
 Please tell me if you can tell from the photos and ebay link what you think?
and how can I test them to see if they are silver or Tin without damaging them.
The seller said "guaranteed authentic"  .  In the last ten days I have seen how many nice looking Fakes are being sold and figured I better ask some experts.
I can return them if they are Fake, but I want to make sure. 
any help appreciated

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GETA-211AD-EF-Denarius-AVG-Guaranteed-Authentic-Ancient-Silver-Coin/123456394639?hash=item1cbe93158f:g:9jQAAOSwKQFb1hF-
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:29:01 AM by Roety »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Real or Fake
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:55:57 AM »

It can be very difficult, even impossible, to authenticate ancient coins from a picture, but I see no reason to believe that these coins are not authentic. Most ancients that are sold are authentic, thankfully the people that sell fakes only account for a small percentage on eBay.

Offline Roety

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
Tracking # seems stuck somewhere out west.  The fact that the seller had four coins all in nice condition with the same finish seems to be a bad clue. 
But am gonna deal with it if and when they get here.   
If they are Tourist copies I just want to pay what they are really worth. 
Recently I was looking at Drachmas with the owl on the reverse and saw on Etsy   someone is selling them as copies in Tin for $9.98 each plus shipping or in silver for $59 each.  these fine looking pieces are at least Being sold as Copies.  Probably Casts .  Since I can't afford a real one in nice shape a $15 shipped copy in Tin  is appealing.  Real silver even better (for my Black collection)
I'll post side photos of these ebay coins if they ever get here
Thanks

Offline Pharsalus

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:13:39 AM »
Based on the photos, I also think they look authentic. The Caracalla in particular is a nice looking coin.
There are a lot of fake ancients, but most of them aren't very convincing if you can just get a little experience. Its fair to say most very deceptive fakes are restricted to more expensive coins. eBay can be a bit of a minefield for new collectors; not just for fakes but also for price. Spend some time just browsing Vcoins, CNG coins etc and you'll soon get a feel for what real ancients look like. You'll then see most of these fake/reproductions are laughably obvious.

Offline Roety

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 09:12:11 AM »
I received them and they are silver (test a rubbed edge on stone and acid),  they look struck not cast.  the front of two looks  uncirculated to me.  that's why I was suspicious , but I will keep them.  I just bought a bunch of Romas ($70 each) ,  a few Gold ($300 and $135)and a 100 bronze ones ($2 each)
Question on a different note:
I saw a reputable  auction house selling coins and some  said "eastern European imitations " (are they fakes?)   I researched and see many listed like that. 
here is one that says "imitation"  and sold for $670.   https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/c_j_martin_coins/97/product/imitation_of_alexander_the_great_ar_tetradrachm_eastern_europe/917986/Default.aspx

I am assuming they are not fakes but the eastern Europe imitated the roman coins.
I can not find a clarification of this topic using google. 
any insight appreciated

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 09:35:49 AM »

The term imitation just means that a coin is not an official product, but it is contemporary, so not a fake. Unofficial coinage is actually fairly common.

I have a page about this, but it mainly concerns the 4th century.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/barb2/