Author Topic: Heraclea - CONSTAN-TINVS V M AVG  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Al.cofribas

Heraclea - CONSTAN-TINVS V M AVG
« on: October 02, 2017, 04:35:47 AM »
Hi all,

could we talk about Heraclea  RIC VIII RIC. 17 and 18 ? (A\ CONSTAN-TINVS V M AVG , R\ GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS)

Kent referring to Bruck (p. 428) seems to say that "it would be possible to consider the expansion venerandae memoriae" to the "rare and enigmatic group" CONSTANT-TINVS V M AVG. Could  i consider that small group as a Constantine I 's posthumous issue ?

(in the other hand, he presumes that Victor Maximus Avgustvs , while unusual , is a proper style for Constantine ii)

opinions welcome  :)

Thanks

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Heraclea - CONSTAN-TINVS V M AVG
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
I don't think this can ever be answered with complete certainty. VM could definitely stand for venerandae memoriae but could as easily stand for VICTOR MAXIMUS. Constantine II used the title of VICTOR on his first issues as Augustus from Rome -- VIC CONSTANTINVS AVG.

However, there are examples of what seem most likely to be posthumous issues from Aquileia. There is an obverse legend from Aquileia of CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG with GLORIA EXERCITVS reverse (RIC VIII Aquileia 10, 17, 24). It seems this is Constantine I because there are also coins struck at the same time with the legend CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, which must be Constantine II. So would both legends be Constantine II or might one with MAX be a posthumous issue for Constantine I?

So, it seems possible, perhaps even highly likely, that the Heraclea issue was struck posthumously for Constantine I.

Another possibility is that this is just one more example of careless workers at Heraclea. RIC VII Heraclea 139 has an obverse legend that names Constans as junior (CONSTANS IVN NOB C) when he was most definitely not a Junior.

So, no easy answer...only more questions.  :)

Offline Al.cofribas

Re: Heraclea - CONSTAN-TINVS V M AVG
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »
Indeed Victor.

Thanks for your Help . I've found an old post on FAC about that suject...with the same question comes the same answer  :)

FAC old post http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=91887.0 subject treated after the 4th response

I need a little time to make my opinion. ???