Author Topic: Numismatic book giveaway  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Numismatic book giveaway
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »
If anyone is interested, I have an old copy of A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins by John Melville Jones that I will send to anyone in the US that would like it.

"A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins It is 115 years since Seth Stevenson's magisterial Dictionary of Roman Coins was first published, and there have been several direct reprints since which indicate its continuing value for students of the subject. In this new Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins, Professor Melville Jones has produced a work on a small scale that brings together in a more compact form the results of recent scholarship. A wealth of coin photographs has been used to illustrate the entries. Created on the traditional A-Z basis, this Dictionary lists deities, denominations, subjects and topics that need explanation or elucidation. It is a dictionary that will be invaluable to all numismatists concerned with Roman coins, Republican and Imperial, and of use to anyone interested in the world of ancient Rome."

US residents only as book rates outside the US are a bit expensive.

if you are interested in the book (and have a mailing address in the USA), just be the first to respond to this topic and then PM me your address.

Offline Joshmaggosh

Re: Numismatic book giveaway
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 07:28:18 PM »
I'm interested! Awesome, I've actually been looking for a copy of this book! Am I the first?

Josh
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:33:33 PM by Joshmaggosh »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
Yes, the book is yours. I already have your address and will mail the book tomorrow. I think that you will enjoy the book and find it very useful.

Offline Joshmaggosh

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »
Thank you Victor, this book giveaway is very kind! I'm sure I'll enjoy it and it will be a welcome edition to my growing library! Thanks again!

Josh

Offline Joshmaggosh

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 02:59:22 AM »
Hi Victor,
I would like to thank you again for the book!

It arrived at the beginning of this week but I've been so busy with work and a 8 month-old learning to crawl and stand that I have been unable post this message as promptly as I had hoped.

It is a amazingly helpful resource, full of all of the things that I would read about in coin descriptions but never really had the time to look up. It's really a cool book. I've been picking up all of the newer versions of the Sear books and cheap copies of RIC volumes when I can find them, and those are great. However, for understanding your coins rather than just being focused on reference numbers, I feel this book would be a much better purchase to newer coin collectors.

Anyway thanks again! Here's a picture with a few coins you may recognize.

Josh

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 08:34:30 AM »
I'm glad you like the book. It is one of my favorite resources...it's often the best place to start research.