Author Topic: A most unusual coin  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Coriel

A most unusual coin
« on: July 13, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »
Hello Victor
I came across this coin on EBAY:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162588850456?euid=70b08228e8814156810d2529ff79481f&bu=44461902905&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

I was puzzled by a Constans (or Constantius?) that clearly said NOB CAESS and yet on the reverse was also clearly a FEL TEMP. I sent a message to the seller asking about this and perhaps that he had muddled two different coins, but he denied this and said that it was in fact one coin. What is going on here? Am I having a senior moment?  :-\
A puzzled James

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: A most unusual coin
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »
Hello James, this coin is either Constantius Gallus or Julian II, as they both had FEL TEMPs that ended with NOB CAES. It is also from Arles, rather than Constantinople as the seller states. I would say that this coin is Julian II though (I seem to be able to make out ANV in the obverse legend, right before the break), with an obverse legend that is likely DN IVLIANVS NOB CAES, but could be FL CL IVLIANVS NOB CAES, but it looks like the shorter legend.

Offline Coriel

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 05:33:13 PM »
Thank you so much, Victor. I'm afraid I put too much trust in an Ebay seller's assertions and never even thought of Constantius Gallus or Julian. It's so obvious when you think about it! I did notice a lettter before CON in the exergue, so guessed that it was Arles rather than Constantinople as the seller claimed. Well, it's all a learning experience. Sorry to take up your time, and thanks again.
James

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »
Sorry to take up your time, and thanks again.

I am glad to be of assistance. I looked quickly at this guy's listings and he had a few other errors like a coin of Constans listed as Constantine II and a coin of Constantine I listed as Constantine II. I often only look at the coin pictures on eBay and generally pay little attention to the descriptions (or disregard them); though, as you mentioned, sellers can have the wrong photo for a listing.