Author Topic: Constantine I - Providentia CAESS from Arles - Crispus mule?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Finn235

Purchased unattributed:

Constantine I
CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, Laureate bust right
PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS, Campgate with 6 rows, 2 turrets, star above
Mintmark T*AR (Arles, 3rd officina?)

The only campgates for Constanine I with the CAESS reverse legend are attributed as mules, so far only from Cyzicus. This reverse (legend and mintmark) seem to be Crispus, RIC VII Arles 268.

AFAIK, the third officina at Arles did not produce coins for Constantine I using this mintmark, meaning the obverse die must have been transported between officinae to produce this mule.

Does my attribution seem correct? Is anyone aware of additional examples of this coin?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine I - Providentia CAESS from Arles - Crispus mule?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 05:07:08 PM »
though the style looks good, there is also the possibility of it being unofficial.

I always lean towards unofficial when unusual coins are found.

Ferrando’s book on the Arles mint illustrates a lot of unofficial issues, many in good style.

Offline Finn235

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 01:05:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Victor!

At this point, any ideas what might be needed to determine, one way or the other?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
You may not ever be able to determine with 100% certainty, but for me, it is an easy enough call. There are a few style issues (but maybe I am nitpicking) coupled with the wrong reverse. I frequently refer to Occam's razor when researching coins- the easiest answer is true. In this case, the easiest answer is that this coin is unofficial.