Author Topic: Constantius II - Rome - SECVRITAS REIP  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Joshmaggosh

Constantius II - Rome - SECVRITAS REIP
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:01:12 PM »
Hello!
Not too long ago I bought a very cool Constantius II - Rome - SECVRITAS REIP from Victor. (Pictured)

One of the things I like to do when I get a coin is to learn as much about it as I can. I don't own RIC but I do like to understand what differentiates a coin of one RIC number from others of the same type.

My question is... I've noticed (Wildwinds, coinproject, others) that there are several RIC numbers for very similar Constantius II - Rome - SECVRITAS REIP coins: RIC 9, 12, 15, 33 maybe others.

What are the differences between these coins? In the descriptions I've been finding, I'm not seeing the difference. Thank you!

My coin:
Constantius II
A.D. 337-340
15x16mm   1.8gm
D N FL CONST-ANTIVS P F AVG; laurel and rosette diadem, draped, cuirassed bust right
SECVRITAS REI P; Securitas standing facing, legs crossed, head turned right, holding sceptre in right hand,left elbow leaning on column.
In ex. R k S
RIC VIII Rome 9

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantius II - Rome - SECVRITAS REIP
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 11:30:18 PM »
there are a few differences between each --

RIC 9-- has an obverse legend with break of  D N FL CONST-ANTIVS P F AVG and reverse break of SECVRI-TAS

RIC 12-- has an obverse legend without break  D N FL CONSTANTIVS P F AVG and reverse break of SECVRI-TAS

RIC 15 -- has an obverse legend without break  D N FL CONSTANTIVS P F AVG and a reverse legend without a break in SECVRITAS.

RIC 33-- has a reverse legend of SECVRITAS REI P but a different series with mintmark--  R angled palm branch P

Offline Joshmaggosh

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 11:53:44 PM »
Ahh, I see! I can also see that it would appear likely that my coin has those legend breaks described as RIC 9. Thank for for that information!

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 12:07:20 PM »
RIC VIII demonstrates one end of the scale of "lumper vs. splitter" which are "opposing factions in any discipline that has to place individual examples into rigorously defined categories"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpers_and_splitters

Lumpers will make large groups that include everything. RIC Vi is a good example of this. Multiple bust types and mintmarks are the same RIC number, with no mention of reverse legend breaks. RIC V is very much out of date, and the lack of precision can be confusing. RIC VII is more middle of the road- it notes possible legend breaks, but usually does not give them separate RIC numbers. RIC VIII splits almost everything, giving coins with small differences a separate RIC number...check out the FEL TEMP sections for major splitting and more headaches.

I can appreciate this minute attention to detail, but separate catalogue numbers for each tiny difference can be confusing and perhaps unnecessary. However, there might be a reason to give legend breaks, and other differences, different RIC numbers -- besides nitpicking. Differences might represent different times a series was struck. In short runs this is not so important, but for issues that span a few years, this could be important and could help establish a chronological order to the issues...if that is important- which is another argument.