Author Topic: VRBS ROMA FELIX  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
VRBS ROMA FELIX
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »
This coin was mistakenly included in RIC IX because it was originally thought that the coins in the name of Theodosius (originally thought to be issued circa A.D. 394-5) were Theodosius I; however numismatists figured out it was actually Theodosius II (issued circa 404-8) and included this issue in RIC X.

This issue was struck in the name of all the rulers (Arcadius, Honorius and Theodosius II) from A.D. 404- 408  and the reverse legend translates roughly as "Happy City of Rome" but  the irony of this issue is that all was not so well in Rome. In 408, Arcadius died and the Visigoths laid siege to Rome.

The early issues of these coins were well-struck, but the style and fabric began to deteriorate. Besides being more crude in style, later issues also seem to have been struck only in the name of Honorius. Since these later coins are inferior to coins issued by the usurper Attalus, there is some speculation that these crude examples may have been issued after the fall of Attalus.

This coin is an example of the early issue-

Theodosius II
A.D. 404-408
14mm  2.4gm
DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG
VRBS ROMA FELIX, Roma standing facing, head right, holding trophy and Victory on globe; a shield leans against her left leg.
In left field OF in right field Q
In ex. SMROM
RIC X Rome 1283

Offline Victor

• Administrator
Re: VRBS ROMA FELIX
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
Here is an example of the later issue-

Honorius
A.D. 404-408
14mm  2.4gm
DN HONORIVS PF AVG
VRBS ROMA FELIX, Roma standing, holding trophy and Victory.
In left field OF in right field S
In ex. SMROM
RIC X Rome 1274 or 1280 (the distinction being which way the head of Roma is facing, on this example it is not clear)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
Re: VRBS ROMA FELIX
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:51:28 PM »
here's another Theodosius II

Theodosius II
A.D. 404-408
15x16mm   2.6gm
DN THEODOSIVS P F AVG; pearl diademed, draped and cuirassed bust.
VRBS ROMA FELIX; Roma standing facing, head right, holding trophy and Victory on globe; a shield leans against her left leg; In left field OF, in right field E
In ex. SMROM
RIC X Rome 1283