Author Topic: Constantius II VOT X from Arles...official hybrid  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Constantius II VOT X from Arles...official hybrid
« on: April 11, 2017, 01:57:36 AM »
This fascinating and unlisted coin just sold for 227 GBP. The seller had it described as a 245 variation (245 is VOT V though, maybe he meant 254) Not in RIC, unpublished obverse legend. Well, it is not in RIC...officially.

The P✶AR series from Arles (322- 323) only has VOT X coins from Crispus and Constantine II as Constants II is not a Caesar yet. The next P✶AR series (324- 325) has Constants II appearing on campgate coins with this same obverse. Bruun mentions a coin like this in the introduction to Arles (pg 230) and the footnotes (pg 261). He says that this coin suggests that the VOTA issue and campgate issue overlapped, or were at least, consecutive. He called it an "intersectional hybrid."

He referenced Spink's Num. Circ. 1924 for the example. I have ordered this book and hopefully it clearly describes the coin and maybe has a picture.

Anyway, an interesting coin that certainly looks like an official hybrid.

Also not in Ferrando

Constants II
A.D. 324
19mm   3.0gm
FL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from the rear.
CAESARVM NOSTRORVM surrounding laurel wreath enclosing VOT X.
in ex. Q✶AR
RIC VII Arles –

Offline Genio popvli romani

Re: Constantius II VOT X from Arles...official hybrid
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
I saw it, but what a price !
It seems that you were the under bidder. In the other hand, the Arles SPQR, despite its condition, is also very interesting and it seems that you got it.  ;)
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 12:35:45 PM »
Yes, I was the underbidder. I could not justify paying more as I would only eventually relist it on my Vcoins site.

I was surprised the Arles SPQR did not sell for a bit more, despite the red encrustations. Below is the picture, I will make a separate topic in a day or two.

Offline Genio popvli romani

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »
I was surprised the Arles SPQR did not sell for a bit more, despite the red encrustations.

Yes in deed, as it is also not in Ferrando.
ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI

Offline Victor

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 04:43:17 PM »
I got the 1924 edition of Spink, unfortunately there was not a picture of the coin. It is described as being in EF condition and listed for 5 shillings.

The one that just sold might be the same example from the 1924 sale, but there is no way to be sure now.