Author Topic: Crispus/ Beatatranqullitas,Ric number help  (Read 2519 times)

Offline tenbobbit

Crispus/ Beatatranqullitas,Ric number help
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:44:34 AM »
Another coin that I am struggling to find the Ric number for, any help is always appreciated.

Obverse - CRISPVSNOBCAES
Reverse - BEATATRANQVLLITAS
MM - PTR  crescent

From what I have found so far this Obverse legend belongs with the LYON issue coins as the Trier issues have the longer " IVL " legend and the bust is either L/ Facing or R/ Facing with eagle tipped sceptre.
Not sure where this one fits in.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Crispus/ Beatatranqullitas,Ric number help
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
I think that your obverse legend begins with IVL, as there is room for it. This bust type is not listed in RIC for Crispus for PTR crescent; but it would be before Trier 425. Though the style looks OK, there are some reasons to think it is probably not official. The most obvious is that the reverse should have three stars over the altar, which are not present on your coin. Since the border is seen, they are not merely off the flan, but not there. So I suspect it is an unofficial issue.

Offline tenbobbit

Re: Crispus/ Beatatranqullitas,Ric number help
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 07:25:36 PM »
Hi Victor, thanks for your thoughts.
My pictures are terrible which doesn't help but there is the faint remnants of the stars above the alter, I do need a 10x loupe to see but the centre dots of the stars are there.
The Obverse legend definitely starts with a C though as the arm/ shoulder runs down past it to the border leaving nowhere for the IVL bit.
All of this said I do have to agree with you that it is most likely unofficial, the mistake they appear to have made is pairing an Obverse from Lyon with a Trier Reverse.