Author Topic: Constantine I ROMAE AETERNAE Left Bust type Not in RIC  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Gavin

Constantine I ROMAE AETERNAE Left Bust type Not in RIC
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
Here's an unlisted one. According to Victor, RIC doesn't list a version with the left facing bust with a NON-laureate helmet.

EMPEROR:   Constantine I
REIGNED:   306-337 A.D.
DATE STRUCK:   318-319 A.D.
TYPE:   AE nummus or follis.
SIZE:   18.18 mm.
WEIGHT:   3.15 g.
DIE AXIS:   0°
OBVERSE:   CONSTANT-INVS AVG, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear pointing forward and shield on left arm.
REVERSE:   ROMAE AETERNAE; “To Eternal Rome”; Roma seated right, shield in lap inscribed XV; two letters P and R appear in fields left and right of Roma. XV means “15” and PR stands for the “Populi Romani”; the XV is a reference to Constantine’s quindecennalia, or fifteenth year with imperial power, which was in 320 A.D.  Perhaps the reverse imagery means that Constantine is making vows to continue serving the Roman people–vows occasioned by his fifteenth year of imperial power (either as Caesar or Augustus).
EXERGUE:   R P; Rome mint.
REFERENCES:   Unlisted.  “Yes, it is unlisted. The bust is almost identical to [RIC VII] Rome 150 (H8 bust type), but the helmet on your coin is not laureate. It is an H4 bust and should be between Rome 149 and 150.” –Victor Clark
EX:   Forum Ancient Coins auction 12/16; seller Mario Gojević from Croatia; this coin is almost certainly a Croatian find.
ACQ. DATE:   2/14/17
NOTES:   The left-facing bust is a scarce variant of an already scarce coin. Traces of silvering remain, especially along the spear, in the helmet, and at 8-10 o'clock on the obverse.
CODE:    $28; (part of a seven-coin lot for $28)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:44:38 AM by Gavin »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Constantine I ROMAE AETERNAE Left Bust type Not in RIC
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:36:52 AM »

thank you for posting, I didn't know if you would, so I made a topic about it.

http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php/topic,1134.0.html