Coin talk > Unlisted

Constantine I VICTORIA from Arles...urecorded

<< < (2/6) > >>

marandnumiz:
Congratulations! This is indeed a fantastic find. I am sure it will turn out to be genuine - you have done quite a bit of research to place this coin in the right context.

Paul Bulgerin:
Congratulations, Victor!

I was the other guy in the auction and my bid of $455 wasn't quite high enough.

I had a great time trying to figure out what this might be as I watched the auction count down.

I've already posted questions about it on the Coin Community Forum ancients link and also Moneta-L.

I look forward to learning what you find out about it and am very glad it is the best of hands where the rest of us will benefit from you owning it.

Paul Bulgerin

Victor:
Hello Paul

I hate having to bid against anyone, but I really wanted to get my hands on this coin. If it makes you feel better, my max bid was quite a bit higher.

I have included the original auction photos below and the description

"Lot of 6 Obvious and Very Fine Roman Coins, The Licinus is 25 mm for Reference."

lrbguy:
If the Licinius in that lot is 25mm, then this coin must be about 23mm.  That compares with the late bronzes for Maxentius from Ostia for size.

One thing about this that caught my eye is the interesting posture of the captive, if I am seeing it correctly.  This one appears to be  at the feet of Victory but facing emperor and kneeling on left knee with right foot forward holding some offering toward the emperor.  If that is the pose, it is quite a departure from the predecessor models and from the  FELICITAS PERPETVA SAECVLI solidus.

A most interesting coin to finally surface.  Congratulations on a fine acquisition.

Paul Bulgerin:
Victor,

I don't have any bad feelings about losing this auction.  I spent the whole evening researching the coin trying to figure out what it might be and had a very good time doing so.  I haven't come across many interesting or unusual ancient coins on eBay lately, so this was fun.

I bid what I could afford and things looked good . . . until there was one second left in the auction.

So much of the enjoyment in collecting ancients is the "thrill of the hunt".

I am anxious to see your photos and hear what you learn about this interesting Constantine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version