Author Topic: Theodosius I, unpublished reverse type  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Gundobad

Theodosius I, unpublished reverse type
« on: January 07, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
This coin shows a lion on the reverse in fairly well executed style for the period. I thought it was for Theodosius I but the mintmark is CON with no officina. I can find information indicating that CON was used shortly after the beginning of the joint reign of Theodosius II and Valentinian III(425-455). I  wonder if this coin could be from the second Theodosius given the style and size, 14mm, 1.47 grams. Any opinions. Also, the use of a lion, while indicated as unusual was used even into Byzantine times, just not sure of why this issue may have been issued.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Theodosius I, unpublished reverse type
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:45:07 PM »
Just from the obverse legend, I would say Theodosius II. It is spelled THEODOSVS and the Constantinople mint frequently had trouble spelling the name of Theodosius II. The lion reverse was a pretty common type for Leo I, being a play on his name Leo = lion; but I have never seen this reverse for Theo II. So three possibilities come to mind 1) a reverse not recorded in RIC or several other works like Dumbarton Oaks Late Roman Coins and Hahn's Moneta Imperii Romani Byzanti 2) mint error using an obverse of Theo with reverse of Leo; which would be almost impossible because of the at least 10 year gap and coins of Leo tend to be smaller and cruder 3) could it be a fake. Desert patinas are easy to apply and obscure details. From the picture it looks fine, though.

So short answer...I don't know except that it is Theodosius II.

Offline Gundobad

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »
Victor: Here is another variant on the above coin. This coins does have the name of Theodosius spelled right. The lion faces left and is of a cruder style. Mint mark is "CON".  Still an unlisted coin type?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 11:04:45 AM »
I am not sure what to think of these coins. I would be wary of them just based on the patinas. They look similar to the "desert" patinas that a certain Vcoins dealer is infamous for applying. That does not mean that they are not authentic, but coupled with the previously unknown type, it makes them suspect. The second one also looks like it has soft details of a cast, but it is hard to make out details under the dirt. If you have them, I would try a short soak in acetone. This will not hurt the coin, but will dissolve any glued on patina. Perhaps I am just being overly cautious though.