Author Topic: Brand of Flip?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Gavin

Brand of Flip?
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »
Hi Victor, I really like the flip brand you use commercially. I like how the opening goes almost all the way to the fold, which allows access but seems more secure than flips whose opening only goes part way. Plus, the flip feels more pliable. What brand is it?

I forget the flip brand I have, but after about a year or so, they become so brittle that they almost always crack significantly at the fold. I just figured that was the "cost of doing business" and I regularly replace the flips of coins I look at a lot. It seems that somewhere I was told that the brittleness means certain chemicals aren't in the flip--chemicals that could damage the coin over time. In short, brittleness was a good thing. The soft, unbrittle flips were the ones that might damage coins.

Is this information correct? How do you, or anyone on this list, balance coin safety with flips that might have some longevity?

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Brand of Flip?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »
Yes, the soft flips contain PVC, which can leave a residue on the coin as the chemicals interact with the coin. The first picture below shows a soft flip with greenish-blue residue.

The more brittle ones do not have PVC. I use the SAFLIP brand-- second picture below, which advertise "contains no PVC or Oil". They do sometimes break as they get older; but it is better to replace them rather than using soft flips which might damage the coin.

Offline Gavin

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 02:57:09 PM »
Ok, thanks.  That's helpful.

Offline livingwater

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »
I use acid free paper flips.  More area to write on but the obvious downside you can't see the coin unless you take it out. Mark