Author Topic: group of Late Roman or Vandal bronze nummi  (Read 921 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
group of Late Roman or Vandal bronze nummi
« on: August 19, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
I just picked up this interesting (to me) lot described by the auction house as late Roman or Vandalic, with one radiate from the 3rd century. They all seem to be unofficial, except what might be a Valentinian III. There are two VOT types with retrograde legends on reverse. These coins are tough to attribute...some like to immediately look at how crude they are and say-- "barb...must be Vandals." A good term for these types is pseudo- Imperial, since they may have been struck like civic coinage -- on a local level. The coin on the top row far left looks neat. It is a cross reverse, but has a deep circular line around the inside of the beaded border on the reverse.

auction description--

ROMAN. Imperial. Lot of ten (10) late Roman or Vandal bronze nummi. Includes: imitating various types of the 5th century, one a radiate imitation of the 3rd century.

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: group of Late Roman or Vandal bronze nummi
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 12:37:49 PM »

I got this lot in and the two with retrograde reverse are in surprisingly good condition. The smallest coin in the lot was 7mm wide and 3mm thick, though I can't really make out any detail.

Pseudo-Imperial
Circa A.D. 500
10mm   0.6gm
Obv: pearl-diademed and draped bust with legend consisting of I’s
Rev: wreath surrounding TOV TLVM X X [retrograde]

Pseudo-Imperial
Circa A.D. 500
11mm   0.9g
Obv: pearl-diademed and draped bust with legend consisting of I’s
Rev: wreath surrounding TOV TVM X X [retrograde]