Author Topic: late Roman or Vandal monogram  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Valentinian

late Roman or Vandal monogram
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »
Here is a coin I got recently. I have been unable to identify the monogram. I consulted Wroth WPBC, MEC I, and this web site on monograms:
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=monogram
It is 10-9 mm, 0.92 grams, 9:30 die axis.

The source (assembled decades ago) had numerous "Vandalic" AE4s from Carthage, including some Gelimer monograms, 8-pointed stars, and Justinian chi-rhos, but this coin's patina is different, so I cannot say they belong together.

I solicit your input. 

Online Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: late Roman or Vandal monogram
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:14:07 PM »
I haven't seen anything similar. I wonder if it might be an anonymous civic issue or perhaps just an unofficial issue.

Offline Luke

Re: late Roman or Vandal monogram
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 07:08:49 PM »
Hello, very cool coin. Surfaces are just beautiful. I think I might have a loose ID. If you flip it to a 45° axis (180° from what's pictured or upside-down) you've got most of a Theodosius II monogram. What's cut off, the 3 arms of the "E", looks like it would fit from what I can extrapolate from the wreath diameter. Only thing making me unsure is the palm in the field. I've seen that on another "Vandalic" imitation somewhere; I'll try & find it again & post if I do. Something like a mark of value...?
     My 1st impression was a tiny imitation of a large "M" Follis of the Byzantines. Might be, there are certainly imitations that small of much larger coins. And it would sort of explain the palm in the field; an interpretation of the regal year that's in its place on official coins.
     Old thread, I know, hope I'm talking to someone still there. If you've figured it out since posting, could you post the answer?  Beautiful coin. I love those tiny 5th C. monograms. Thanks for sharing.