Author Topic: General question about unrecorded coins  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Joshmaggosh

General question about unrecorded coins
« on: October 15, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »
After all these years that people have been studying and recording Roman coins... Do any completely new reverse types or legends (that aren't just variants of existing types) ever come to light? I'm sure they do... I'm particularly thinking LBRs for this question. If so what are the few? Are there any that were unknown that with recent finds, have become somewhat available?

Also, im sure there are rare medallions or silver or gold but I'm curious about more common currency that may have just been a small issue... before the rough 5th century and later tiny monogrammed bronzes.

I seem to remember something about a Julian II AE4 that a few years ago was recorded... But I can't seem to find that info.

Anyway, just a random question. Thanks!

Josh
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 10:28:15 PM by Joshmaggosh »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: General question about unrecorded coins
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 11:03:15 PM »
Entirely unknown types do turn up, but not very often. Below are a few examples.

A few years ago I saw a new type for Helena with the reverse of HELENA AVGVSTA. A second example popped up last year.

The second picture below is a Constantine I with an unrecorded reverse of FORTVNA REDVX AVG N that turned up in 2011.

Sometimes even common types turn up that are really different, like the Licinius II 3-D campgates from Rome with VIRTVS reverse.

I don't know that any previously unknown types are actually somewhat available though. These rare types will always command high prices in auctions...your best bet is to hope to find something that nobody else notices, maybe in a large group, possibly even photographed poorly. It's like winning the lottery though, the odds are against you, but it could happen.

Offline Joshmaggosh

Re: General question about unrecorded coins
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 11:10:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply Victor!

Very cool. I'd seen the Campgate in an earlier post but not the others. I'll have to look into them. My dream is to luck across one of these in a late night $5 action!