Author Topic: Late Campgate of Thessalonica  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Joshmaggosh

Late Campgate of Thessalonica
« on: September 03, 2016, 02:39:56 AM »
Hi all,
Late Campgate of Thessalonica... Either Theodosious, Valentinian II, or Arcadicus. I'm hoping someone can see something in the legend to identify. Thanks!

Josh

0.57g
11-13mm

PS: I was thinking I could see Valentinian but I don't think it matched the listed workshop for him.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:44:20 AM by Joshmaggosh »

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: Late Campgate of Thessalonica
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
I looked at the legend a bit and rotated the pic and lightened it a little and I'm still not sure, but I think you are right with Valentinian II. As far as the workshop-

"There were four workshops in Thessalonica minting these coins- A,B, delta and gamma. Valentinian II has A, Theodosius has B and delta, and Arcadius has gamma. RIC states that these are the regular officinae for the emperors and that exceptions are rare...but there are always exceptions."

and yours looks like delta (but maybe it is a hard to read A) but like RIC says, there are exceptions.

here's the topic where the above quote came from with an example of a Val II from workshop B

http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php/topic,995.msg2832/topicseen.html#msg2832

Offline Joshmaggosh

Re: Late Campgate of Thessalonica
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 08:09:19 PM »
Thanks Victor! Sorry for the late reply. Actually I'd been looking at this coin for weeks through a loop and photographing it ended up producing more legend detail than I could see in hand. I'll have to remember that for other coins.

So... either an unlikely workshop or a mangled "A." I'll probably list both on my tag but lead with the "A" as the workshop. Thanks again!

Josh