Author Topic: bookjacking  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
bookjacking
« on: May 10, 2018, 02:38:36 PM »
I was just bookjacked!

I have purchased hundreds of books online and never had a problem until my last purchase. I bought a new copy of  A Dictionary of Roman Coins and a few days later, the bookseller emailed me saying that the package had been damaged by the USPS and sent back to them. Then she offered to sell me a used copy for a 20% discount. I said that I just wanted a refund. She emailed again to make sure I didn't want the used copy and I said "No" once again. Then she emailed and said that I needed to wait past the estimated delivery date to file a claim through Abebooks. I have started the dispute process with my credit card company.

They apparently never had the new copy of the book and the tracking number she sent me shows that a label was created but was never in the system, so nothing was checked into the USPS system. Bookjackers never have the book in stock, but this seller also tried a bait and switch, trying to dump a used book on me.

Here is a website about bookjacking with some dealers to stay away from...and the company I just had this experience with is on the list -- Murray Media

So many crooks in this world!   >:(

http://www.zubalbooks.com/article-bookjacking.jsp

Offline livingwater

Re: bookjacking
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »
Wow what a scam.  My wife recently bought a Tiffany style lamp on ebay.  Turns out the seller never had one in stock and sent a cheaper model.  We sent it back and had to have Ebay intervene to get a refund. 

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Re: bookjacking
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 11:04:51 PM »
The Tiffany scenario sounds similar to what the bookseller tried with me- a bit of bait and switch. I guess it doesn't matter what your interests are, there are crooked people lurking, trying to take advantage.