Author Topic: Siscian GLORIA EXERCITVS- Which Constantine?  (Read 956 times)

Offline Victor

• Administrator
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Victor's Imperial Coins
Siscian GLORIA EXERCITVS- Which Constantine?
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »
This is an interesting coin because the series ASIS✶ was issued twice from Siscia, once during Constantine I’s life and again after his death. The problem is differentiating coins of Constantine I from Constantine II. After the death of his father, Constantine II used the same legend of CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG.

The first issue is demonstrated by an abundance of coins with the Caesars as NOB C, so Constantine I must also have coins as MAX AVG. The second issue of this series has the brothers Constans and Constantius II depicted as Augustii, so coins must also have been struck for Constantine II as AVG.

However, there is no real way to differentiate between father and son. I have catalogued the coin below as Constantine II, mainly because of the portrait; but that is an unsatisfactory way to try to distinguish them, as Constantine I seemed to get younger on his coinage.

LRBC says that there are different diadems, but adds that it is unconfirmed. Constantine I and Constantine II as Augustus both wore rosette diadems. In RIC VII, Bruun suggests that workshop A is usually Constantine I, but then states that the “distribution of officinae tends to be blurred.”

RIC VIII probably gives the best answer- “A satisfactory means of distinguishing these pieces from those of Constantine I with the same mint-mark has not yet been established.”

Edit  except the coin is actually Constantius II...I need to pay attention  ::)

Constantius II
A.D. 337
16x17mm   1.6gm
CONSTANTIVS MAX AVG; rosette-diadem, draped and cuirassed bust.
GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS; Two soldiers helmeted, stg. facing one another, reversed spear in outer hands, inner hands on shields resting on the ground; between them one standard.
In ex. ΓSIS✶
RIC VIII Siscia 75